Twenty-Second Air Force
The Twenty-Second Air Force origins can be traced to WWII through an official consolidation of two organizations in 1979. It was established as Domestic Division, Air Corps Ferrying Command, and activated 28 December 1941 in Washington DC, assigned to the Air Corps Ferrying Command. The 22nd was redesignated Domestic Wing, Air Corps Ferrying Command on 26 February 1942; Domestic Wing, AAF Ferry Command on 9 Mar 1942; Domestic Wing, AAF Ferrying Command on 31 Mar 1942; Ferrying Division, Air Transport Command (ATC) 20 June 1942. To Cincinnati OH 10 Feb 1943. Redesignated Continental Division, ATC, 28 Feb 1946. Discontinued 31 Oct 1946. Consolidated 29 Mar 1979 with the organization established as Continental Division, Military Air Transport Service (MATS), and organized at Kelly AFB TX 1 July 1948, assigned to MATS (later Military Airlift Command (MAC)); moved to Travis AFB CA 25 June 1958; redesignated Western Transport AF 1 July 1958, and Twenty-Second AF 8 Jan 1966. Relieved from assignment to MAC and assigned to Air Mobility Command 1 June 1992. Inactivated 1 July 1993. Activated the same day at Dobbins AFB GA with a change in assignment to the AFR.
The 73rd TCS was constituted on 30 January 1943. Ten days later it was activated and assigned to the 434th Troop Carrier Group, stationed at Alliance Army Air Field, Nebraska. The 434th was based at Fullbeck, Welford, Aldermarston where they operated the C-47 Skytrain. They operated under the 53rd Troop Carrier Wing based at Greenham Common. In September 1943, it was moved to Baer Field Indiana. Following WWII, the 73rd TCS was inactivated on 31 July 1946, but reactivated a year later and assigned to Lunken Airport, Cincinnati, Ohio. The following airplane exists in 2001 and is for sale as described below.
Cessna T-50 N6HS S/N 3696
This aircraft came off the assembly line of Cessna Aircraft Company 20 October 1942. It is possible that it flew for the Navy between 20 October 1942 and 20 October 1943 designated as JRC-1. This aircraft was also designated UC-78 S/N 42-58205 and received on 23 October 1943 and assigned to the Air Transport Command, Lunken AP, Cincinnati, OH. The Department of The Air Force record card for this UC-78, S/N 42-58205 indicates the service history of this aircraft. Existing maintenance records indicate that this aircraft flew for a period between 1946 and 1964 for Revere Airways, Inc. 339 Squire Road, Revere Massachusetts.
Complete rebuild of this aircraft was started May 1985 with all wood and parts stripped from the fuselage frame and all new wood, parts and fabric restored. The wing and tail assembly was rebuilt with all new wood and stits fabric. The right engine (Jacobs R755-9) was overhauled to 0 hrs 19 February 1997. The left engine (Jacobs R755-9) was overhauled to 0 hrs 1 April 1997. Both left and right Constant Speed Hamilton Standard propellers (2B20) were overhauled to 0 hrs 26 March 1996.
Cessna introduced the T-50 in 1939. It is a low winged twin engine monoplane with five seats. First produced as a civilian aircraft, it was manufactured for Canada and the US Army during World War II.
The Cessna Bobcat military adaptation of the five-seat commercial monoplane appeared in 1940. It was first built in military form in 1941 as an advanced trainer for the RCAF as the Crane (two Jacobs engines) and for the US Army Air Forces as the AT-8 (two Lycoming R-680-9 engines). Later the Jacobs power-plant was standardized for both models. The USAAF version was re-designated AT-17. In 1942 the aircraft was adopted for light personnel transport use as the C-78 (later UC-78) and JRC-1.
On 1 July 1949, the 73rd TCS was redesignated the 73rd TCS (Medium) and transferred to Atterbury AFB, Ind.